主题

帖子

精华

银河公民

原力
水晶
 楼主| 发表于 2020-2-26 10:37 | 显示全部楼层
CHAPTER

The Grand Convocation Chamber of the New Republic Senate had been completed only three months earlier, its construction stepped up out of necessity after Kueller's bombs had weakened the structure of the old Senate Hall beyond repair. And while there were still bits of trim and scrollwork left to be finished, the overall effect was every bit as impressive as its designers had promised. The old arrangement-with the delegates' seats arranged in concentric semicircles, descending inward toward a raised dais-had been replaced by a series of variably sized, variably shaped blocks of seats, connected to each other by short stairways or ramps that had been arranged at apparent random, yet which maintained a consistent grace and style. Separating the seat groups were clear glass panels, or carved lattices, or merely short railings and a meter or two of vertical height, as the designers' fancy had taken them. Each block of seats had an unobstructed view of the central dais, as' well as a display that could be adjusted to show either a closer view of the dais or any of the other blocks of seats in the chamber.
新共和国议会的集合大厅在三个月前刚刚建好。在库勒的炸弹让老议会大厅彻底无法修好之后,它的建造速度出于必要的考虑而加快了。虽然还有一些细节和装饰没有建好,整体效果还是像设计者承诺的那样另人印象深刻。各种大小,各种形状的座位由看似随意,实则带有了一致风格的
In many ways the place reminded Leia of the magnificent Corioline Marlee theater back on Alderaan, a renowned palace of the arts that had always been synonymous in her mind with courtesy, culture, and civilization. It had been her secret hope that the Grand Chamber's similar design would help encourage those same qualities in the Senators who assembled there.
在许多方面这个地方都让莉娅想起了奥德朗上那著名的卡尔林玛丽大剧院。那个著名的地方在她心中象征着礼节,文化,和文明。她心中暗暗希望大剧院类似的设计可以激发出这里的议员类似的品质。

But for today, at least, that was clearly not going to be the case.
但是至少从今天来看,事情显然不是这样。
"Let me be certain I understand you, President Gavrisom," a rough Opquis voice called over the chamber's sound system. "You're telling us that the Bothans were the key to the destruction of Caamas and the near genocide committed against the Caamasi people. Yet at the same time you tell us you will not seek justice for this heinous act?"
“让我来弄明白你的意思,加夫洛总理,”一个带有浓重的奥克斯口音的声音在议会的扩音系统中响了起来。“你告诉我们博萨人是卡马斯毁灭的关键,他们导致了对卡马斯人的种族大屠杀。然而同时你告诉我们你不会审判这种暴虐的行为?”
"That is not at all what I have told you, Senator," President Ponc Gavrisom said mildly, twitching his tail once and resettling it against his hind legs. "Allow me to repeat. A small group-a small group-of as yet unidentified Bothans were involved in that tragedy. If and when we are able to learn their names, we will certainly dispense in full measure the justice I know we all seek. Until then, though, it simply cannot be done."
“议员,我和你完全不是这么讲的,”派克加洛夫温和的说道,他将自己的尾巴卷到后退上。“请允许我再说一次,一小队,只有一小队,身份未知的博萨人参与了这场战斗。如果我们知道他们的名字,我们肯定会用一切办法来审判他们。在那之前,审判是无法进行的。”
Why not?" an alien with shaggy blue-green hair and a long, thin face demanded. A Forshul, Leia tentatively identified her, representing the eighty-seven inhabited worlds of Yminis sector in the Outer Rim. "Councilor Fey'lya does not deny Bothans were involved. Very well, then: let them be duly punished for this monstrous blot on galactic civilization."
“为什么不能?”一位头发蓬松,脸型狭长的异星人说到。一位法苏人,莉娅似乎认出了她,她代表着伊密斯星区外环的87个殖民星球。“费力亚议员并没有否认博萨人参与这是。很好,让他们为这种在银河人民身上发生暴行付出代价吧。”
Leia glanced across the dais at Borsk Fey'lya, seated at the far end of the curved row of High Councilors. The Bothan's expression and fur were under rigid control, but her Jedi senses had no trouble picking up the turmoil of anxiety behind his face. He'd had, she knew, a long conversation with the heads of the Combined Clans back on Bothawui just prior to this meeting. From the hardness of his expression, she guessed the conversation hadn't gone well .
莉娅望向了坐在议会弧形座位末端的博萨人费力亚。博萨人的表情和毛发显然都控制的很好。然而她的绝地感知毫无疑问的感觉到了他身上焦虑的感觉。她知道他在会议开始前才和博萨乌氏族联合的长老谈过。从他的表情来看,她知道这个谈话并不顺利。
"I understand your feelings, Senator," Gavrisom said. "However, I must point out that the legal guidelines of the New Republic are not the same as the traditional codes of Forshuliri justice." He unfolded his wings from across his long back and brought them in front of him. The prehensile feathertips touched one of the keys on the lectern, and a section of New Republic criminal law appeared on the display above his head. "Those guidelines do not allow us to penalize the entire Bothan people for the crimes of a few."
“我可以理解你的愤怒,议员”,加夫洛说到。“然而我必须指明共和国的法律和传统法苏力亚的法律并不一样,”他用将身后的翅膀展开,用翅尖鹏了讲台。新共和国的法律的投影出现在了他的透顶。“这些法律不允许我们因为一小部分人的罪行处罚所有博萨人。”

主题

帖子

精华

银河公民

原力
水晶
发表于 2020-3-3 08:36 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
楼主有没有繁体译本的?想看,找了好久找不到

主题

帖子

精华

银河公民

原力
水晶
 楼主| 发表于 2020-8-26 09:32 | 显示全部楼层
Alan-Scott 发表于 2020-3-3 08:36
楼主有没有繁体译本的?想看,找了好久找不到

我和你一样

主题

帖子

精华

银河公民

原力
水晶
 楼主| 发表于 2020-8-26 09:45 | 显示全部楼层
"And why do we not know the identities of those supposed few?" the Ishori Senator called out. "I see Councilor Fey'lya seated to your right. What has he to say about all this?"
“那为什么我们不知道这一小部分人的姓名呢?”一位伊索人议员吼道。“我看到费力亚议员就坐在你右边,他对此有何解释?“
Gavrisom turned his head to look over his withers at Fey'lya. "Councilor Fey'lya, do you wish to respond?" m mm
加夫罗越过他的随从望向费力亚。“费力亚议员,对此你如何回应?”
Visibly bracing himself, the Bothan rose to his feet. "I understand the anger this revelation has elicited from many of you," he said. "I assure you that we of the Bothan clan leadership feel the same anger, and the same desire that the perpetrators of this terrible crime be brought to justice. And rest assured that if we knew exactly who those perpetrators were, we would long ago have dealt with them. The problem is that we do not."
博萨人有些费力的站了起来。“我可以理解你们因为真相被披露而感到的愤怒。”他说到,“我向你保证博萨人的领导阶层也同样感到了愤怒。我们也希望将凶手抓捕归案。如果我们知道这群罪犯的身份,我们肯定早就审判过他们了。问题是我们不知道。”
There was a short, warbling scream. Reflexively, Leia jumped, belatedly identified the blood-chilling sound as the Ayrou equivalent of a skeptical snort. "Do you expect us to believe-?"
传来了一声短而愤怒的尖啸。莉娅条件反射的站了起来,过来一会才想起来这声令人毛骨悚然的尖啸在艾尔人的语言中等于哼哼声。“你指望我们相信——”
"President Gavrisom, I would ask you to once again remind the Senator from Moddell sector to shut up that noise!" another Senator interrupted angrily. "The harmonics have already caused me to lose two eggs this session, and if I cannot bear my yearly hatchlings on schedule, I will lose both my status and any possibility of reappointment by my sector assembly."
“加夫洛总理,我再一次要求你让莫蒂尔星区的议员不要再发出这个声音,”另一个议员愤怒的打断道“那种尖啸已经让我在这个季度丢失了两个蛋,如果我不能完成我的年度下蛋计划,我将失去我的职位以及任何重新竞选的可能。”
"Speaking for myself, that would be a relief," someone else put in before Gavrisom could respond. "Some of us are exceptionally tired of your precious eggs being used as an excuse for everything you don't like&mdash"
“就我个人而言,这真让人宽心,”在加夫洛还没开口之前,另外一位议员就插了进来。“我们中许多人已经厌恶了你总拿你那宝贵的蛋当作当作谴责你不喜欢的东西的借口。”
Gavrisom's wingtips touched a key, and the voice was cut off as the sound system shut down. For another minute angry voices continued to be heard, echoing indistinctly from various quarters of the chamber, before finally falling reluctantly silent as the participants realized that none of their verbal jabs was getting through to the designated recipients. Gavrisom waited another few seconds before turning the sound system back on. "The prologue to the New Republic charter," he said quietly, "exhorts all member worlds to behave toward one another in an acceptable and civilized manner. Shall the members of this Senate be held to a lesser standard?"
加夫洛的翅膀按了一个按钮,那个声音便因为扩音系统的关闭而被强行打断。各种愤怒的吼声又持续了几分钟。最终这些声音不情愿的平息了下来直到参与者们意识到他们的声音对方根本没法听见。加夫洛有等了几秒才把扩音系统再次打开。“共和国宪章的序言里写道,”他平静的说,“敬告世界上所有种族都对其他种族以包容而文明的态度而对待。议会里的成员们能不能达到这里说的最低标准?”
"You speak of civilization, President Gavrisom," a tall Bagmim said darkly. "How can we of the New Republic Senate consider ourselves civilized if we do not show our repugnance for the horrible crime committed against the Caamasi?"
“你提到了文明,”一位高大的包米人阴沉的说到。“如果我们不对卡马斯人的暴行做出抵制,我们怎么还能算得上文明?”
Leia cleared her throat. "May I remind the Senate," she said, "that whatever part any group of Bothans might have played, there is no indication any of them participated in the actual destruction of Caamas. That, it seems to me, should be the focal point of our outrage and justice."
莉娅清了清嗓子。“请允许我提醒一下议会,”她说道,“不管博萨人做了什么事,都没有证据表明他们直接参与了卡马斯的毁灭,这点,在我眼里看来,是我们在进行审判的焦点。

主题

帖子

精华

银河公民

原力
水晶
 楼主| 发表于 2020-8-26 09:47 | 显示全部楼层
"Do you seek then to excuse the Bothans?" a Senator she didn't recognize demanded.
“那么你会要求处死这群博萨人吗?“一位她不认识的议员询问道。
"Besides which, the actual perpetrators were undoubtedly agents of then Senator Palpatine," someone else added from the opposite side of the chamber. "All such agents have surely been destroyed during our onerously long war against the Empire."
“而且,所有真正参与此事的人肯定是帕尔帕廷议员的特工。”大厅的另一个方向传来了一名议员的声音。“而这些特工大多已经在我们对抗帝国的漫长战争中死亡。”
"Are you certain of that?" another voice chimed in. "We are still learning the full depth of Emperor Palpatine's deceptions against the peoples of the galaxy. Who is to say his agents don't yet walk among us?"
“你对此确定吗?”另外一个声音插了进来。“我们还在了解帕尔帕廷皇帝对于人民的欺骗有多深。谁敢说我们中间没有藏他的间谍?”
"Are you accusing one of us?"
你是在指控我们中的人吗?“
"If you claim the title, what is that to me?" the other shot back. "There are still rumors of Imperial agents scattered among us&mdash"
“你是在指控我吗?”另一个人吼道。“现在还有传言帝国特工散布在我们中间。”
Again Gavrisom touched the cutoff switch, and again the debate was reduced to distant voices shouting uselessly at each other. Leia listened, to the budding argument fade away, for the umpteenth time thanking the Force that she was at least temporarily no longer the one in charge of this madhouse.
加洛夫又按了一下关闭键,争论又一次变成了一群人隔着老远互吼。莉娅等着这场初露苗头的争吵渐渐停止。心中第无数次庆幸自己不是这些指控的目标。
The voices faded away into a tense silence. Gavrisom touched the key again. "I'm sure the Senator from Chorlian sector was speaking only figuratively," he said with his usual unflappable poise. "At any rate, this debate has already passed the point of usefulness and will therefore be suspended for now. If the document which Councilor Organa Solo brought back can be reconstructed to the point where names can be discovered, we will reopen the discussion. Until then, there are many other matters which require our attention."
声音逐渐转为寂静。加洛夫又打开扩音器。“我很确定卡尔林星区的议员只是象征性的说说,”他用他那不紧不慢的口气说到。“就现在而言,这场争论已经变得毫无意义。如果奥加那 索罗议员带回来的文件可以向我们指明我们可以到哪找到这群人的具体姓名。我们会再次开始关于这事的讨论。但是现在,还有其他事需要我们投入注意力。”
He glanced at his display, then looked up to his right. "We will begin with the report of the Economics Committee. Senator Quedlifu?"
他看了看他的数据版,然后望向右边。“我们可以开始经济发展的报告了吧。议员贾利乌?”

The Economics Committee report was longer than usual, with two bills being submitted to the full Senate for consideration. That in itself was fairly unusual: with each Senator limited to introducing one bill per year, and a straight up-down vote required to get that bill out of committee, most of the proposed legislation never found the support necessary to make it to the full Senate. Only a small fraction of those few, moreover, ever survived the Senate's scrutiny to actually become law.
经济发展的汇报比平时要长,有两份资金申请被议会列入了需要继续讨论的范围。实际上这种事都是很平常的。现在每位议员只能一年提出一项账目的申请,而委员会申请项目还要投票。很少有法案可以获得整个议会的通过。只有而能通过议会审批的就更是少之又少。

主题

帖子

精华

银河公民

原力
水晶
 楼主| 发表于 2020-8-26 09:58 | 显示全部楼层
Which was precisely how the system was supposed to work. With nearly a thousand Senators already-and with each one representing fifty to two hundred entire worlds-there was no possible way Coruscant could truly look after the interests of all the beings making up the New Republic. This latest modification of the Senate had reduced its role to little more than providing for the common defense and mediating disputes between member sectors. The more commonplace day-to-day governing was handled at the sector, system, planetary, regional, district, and local levels.
这实际上就是他们希望系统运作的方式。现在已经大概有一千名议员,每个议员代表了五十到两百个世界。科洛桑没有办法同时照顾那么多属于新共和国的世界。共和国将他的职权范围降到了统一军事防御和调停星区之间的矛盾。而那些每天日常的关于星区,星球,市区的管理则又地方政府负责。
A few of the Senators, remembering the glory days of the Old Republic, occasionally grumbled about the Senate being reduced to what they saw as little more than an elaborate debating society. For the majority, though, the more vivid memory was that of Coruscant's domination during the dark days of the. Empire. A relatively weak central government was exactly what they wanted.
一些议员,还记得旧共和国以前那些荣耀的岁月,他们对于议会已经变成了一个精心设计的辩论大会颇有微词。但是对于大部分议员。他们还记得在帝国黑暗时代的时候科洛桑对其他星球的独裁统治有着清晰的记忆。所以一个权力较弱的中央政府才正是他们想要的。
As it turned out, the Economics Committee was the only one with any bills to introduce or, for that matter, anything really new to report. Gavrisom cycled through the rest of the committees with practiced ease and dispatch, bringing the meeting to a close less than two hours after it had begun.
结果就是,金融协会就是唯一一个还能交出预算申请的地方的,或者更准确的说,唯一一个可以交新的预算申请的地方。而加洛夫则负责熟练的让文件通过审核,而会议一般开个两小时就结束了。
And yet, even as Leia joined the flow of beings exiting from the chamber, she suspected that none of the Senators or High Councilors would be occupied with business as usual this afternoon. Caamas would be the thought on everyone's mind. Caamas, and justice.
但是,当莉娅顺着人流走出大厅的时候,她怀疑没有议员或者高级委员会的人会在下午去做他们正常的食物。卡马斯的事情会吸引每个人的主义。卡马斯,或者正义的审判。
Or perhaps vengeance.
或者是复仇。
"Your Highness?" a tentative voice called through the rumble of conversation.
“公主殿下?”一个有点踌躇的声音从乱哄哄的谈话声中传来。
Leia paused and lifted a hand. "Over here, Threepio."
莉娅停了下来,举起手。“在这里,C3P0.”
"Ah," the droid said, making his tentative way across the traffic flow toward her. "I trust the assembly went well?"
“啊,“机器人说到,有点犹豫的走了过来。“我相信会议还算顺利吧。”
"As well as can be expected, under the circumstances," Leia told him. "Any messages from the techs about the datacard?"
“考虑到现在的情况,这和我想象的一样顺利。”莉娅告诉她。“技术组有没有调出关于那张数据版的消息?”
"I'm afraid not," Threepio said, sounding regretful. "But I do have a message from Captain Solo. He has returned, and will be waiting for you."
“我恐怕没有。”C3PO说到,听上去很遗憾。“但是我这里有一条索洛船长的消息。他回来了,现在正在等你。”
Leia felt her heartbeat pick up. "Did he say anything about his mission to Iphigin?"
莉娅感觉自己的心跳加速。“他有说他在艾飞恩星区的任务怎么样了吗?”
"I'm afraid not," Threepio apologized again. "Should I have asked him?"
“我恐怕没有。”C3PO又一次道歉了。“我应该问他吗?”
"No, that's all right," Leia assured him.
“不,没事,”莉娅让他安心。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入星球大战

本版积分规则

星球大战中文网官方微信公众号

手机版|星球大战中文网 ( 沪ICP备09001291号 )

GMT+8, 2020-10-25 10:36 , Processed in 0.042646 second(s), 16 queries .